Friday, August 25, 2017

A KINGDOM IN THE CITY

by Sam J Christopher




Recently went to a "church" on the top floor of a 6-storey business complex located in prime real estate in the city. Could hear the kick-drum thundering right through to the ground floor. When I entered the heavy doors of the 2,000-seater hall, I was immediately blasted by a solid wall of 120dB yells.
And simultaneously engulfed in total darkness. Except for a lit stage. And a giant super-bright LED screen behind it. Took me a several panicky moments before I could grope my way to a seat. And immediately was rewarded with a 32Hertz rumble in the buttocks. No wonder everyone was standing!
Well, the "worship" finally ended, thankfully. But it took several more moments before the ‘DING’ in my ears finally ceased dinging. In time to listen intelligently to the speaker. Not the one hanging from the ceiling, silly! The silver-haired one standing behind the pulpit. At least HE was going at a comfortable 85dB. And intelligently too!

If this is the kind of "kingdom city worship" that's heading towards earth, I hope the ever-merciful Lord will remember to build my mansion somewhere far away in the suburbs. And soundproof at least one room.

Maybe after 6 decades, I really have gotten too old to “worship”. Been there, done that and all. But now the eardrums, the eyes, the buttocks, even the old heart – they all just don’t seem to be wanting to travel that highway anymore. No, I think I’ll just stick to that narrow path somewhere in the shade of the valley. There I know I can just go lie down. Where the pastures are green. And the waters are QUIET.  Yeah yeah, a couple of wolves may be sneaking around planning bad stuff. But I could still eat a happy meal with a rod and staff within reach.  And what’s more, it’s bright enough for the Shepherd to keep His eye on me.


Yup, you can bet your eardrums, I will NOT be hurrying back to afore-mentioned “church” anytime soon. Well, not without a military-grade LED torch and TNT-grade earplugs anyway!

No comments: