Wednesday, February 10, 2016

AN OLD HYMN (as sung by some "christians" these days)


Sam J Christopher



My hope is built on my witness
Not Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust His sweetest Name,
So also lean on my own name.

Refrain:
On Christ, the part-time Rock, I stand;
All my own ground can help me stand.
All my own ground can help me stand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on my own strength and faith;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within my sail.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Is not enough in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
My self-effort will be my stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, in my strength may I be found;
Dressed in my righteousness alone,
My trumpet loud before the throne.
 



Epilogue:

You see, I have been pondering on some discussion relating to God's salvation plan. Some Christians hold that God's salvation plan comes in 2 separate parts - where God does His part and man does his part, in order for that salvation to be materialize effectively – like a glue plus hardener. I don't subscribe to that.
I view this concept as, at best, a misunderstanding, and at worst, a satanic deception to give people a false security in self-righteous works. I see God as the EXCLUSIVE Author and Finisher of a sinner's salvation.

But as I pondered on this difference in perspective among friends, this old hymn came to mind. And the profoundness of the first stanza itself struck me with awe:

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name."

This hymn is in such stark contrast to the view held by some Christians who believe in a "bipartite salvation plan”, sometimes even using a dancing couple, or a husband-wife team to illustrate the "team-work salvation process". That's what prompted me to "modify" the old hymn to reflect the arguments of those who hold to the 2-party salvation plan.

Yes, I know this is "just a song" written by a man. And no, I'm not basing my theology on a song. But I would like to invite readers to compare the lyrics of my "modified" version that I posted, with the ORIGINAL hymn (below), and see which of the two versions is in line with the Divine Salvation that God wrought for us in His beloved Son Jesus (with Scripture as the adjudicator). Also, please don't hesitate to point out any part of the ORIGINAL lyrics that are in contradiction to Scripture. After all this is "just a song":

 "My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale, 
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way 
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless to stand before the throne. 
- Edward Mote (1863)

No comments: