Tuesday, April 19, 2011

GOOD OL' HYMNS - ABIDE WITH ME



Henry Francis Lyte
1793 to 1847
Henry Francis Lyte was born in Scotland on June 1, 1793. He was educated at Trinity College, of Dublin, Ireland, and was a member of the Church of England all his life. His health was always threatened by asthma and tuberculosis. Despite his bad health he was a tireless worker with the established reputation as a poet, musician and minister.
For the last twenty-three years of his life, Henry Lyte served as a pastor in a poor church among the fishing people in Lower Brixham, Devonshire, England. Because of failing health, he was forced to move to the warmer climate of Italy, so on September 4, 1847, he preached his final sermon to his congregation. It is recorded that he had to nearly crawl to the pulpit to deliver his last sermon. It is said that just before this last service, he had written the text to this hymn along with his own tune. 

The text of the song was taken from:
Luke 24:29. But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. 

On his way to Rome, Italy, Henry Lyte died on November 20, 1847, at Nice, France, and was buried there in an English cemetery.

There were originally eight verses written for this song but we only sing verses one, three and five.

Henry Francis Lyte did not write very many hymns but this one is known and enjoyed all over the world.

Later William Monk wrote a new tune for the hymn. During a time of personal sorrow, he was inspired by the beauty of the magnificent sunset.

Abide with me fast falls the eventide,
The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!
 
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day,
Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see
O Thou who changest not, abide with me!

I need Thy presence every passing hour
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!

Hold Thou Thy word before my closing eyes,
Shine thru the gloom and point me to the skies;
Heaven’s morning breaks and earth’s vain shadows flee
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me!



PS: Received a comment regarding this post:

"As a small kid, in my grandparents’ house I learnt this song. This is the song we use to sing that time after our family prayer at night.

Abide with me fast falls the eventide,
The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

â¡«ù£®¼‹ ñ£ «ïê 蘈î«ó
ªõO„ê‹ ñƒA Þ¼†ì£JŸ«ø
ñŸ«ø£˜ åˆî£¬ê ÜŸÁ «ð£J‹
cƒè£ ªñŒ êè£ò˜ ... â¡«ù£®¼‹

In my school days and youth days we use to sing this song in our (with my parents) family prayer. Now here in our family prayer at night we sing this song and close the prayer.
It is a beautiful meaningful song.
Thanks for letting us know the background of this song."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a small kid, in my Grand parents house I learnt this song. This is the song we use to sing that time after our family prayer at night.

"Abide with me fast falls the eventide,
The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!


என்னோடிரும் மா நேச கர்த்தரே
வெளிச்சம் மங்கி இருட்டாயிட்ரே
மற்றோர் ஓத்தாசை அற்று போயினும்
நீங்கா மெய் சகாயர் ... என்னோடிரும்


In my school days and youth days we use to sing this song in our (with my parents) family prayer.

Now here in our family prayer at night we sing this song and close the prayer.

It is a beautiful meaningful song.

Thanks for letting us know the background of this song.